The NCA-BA works hands-on with Bay Area families through the Strengthening Families Program (SFP). SFP is a nationally and internationally recognized parenting and family strengthening program for both high-risk and ‘regular’ families. NCA-BA provides SFP at no cost to the families. Every session during the 14-week program includes a family meal.
SFP is an evidence-based family skills training program found to significantly reduce problem behaviors, delinquency, and alcohol and drug abuse in children and to improve social competencies and school performance. Child maltreatment also decreases as parents strengthen bonds with their children and learn more effective parenting skills.
For more information please email us at or call us at 415-296-9900.
The SFP curriculum is 14 weeks and new skills are introduced over this period of time. Parents/caregivers are then asked to practice learned skills at home and report back each week. In addition to the research supporting this program we have received outstanding feedback from the parents and offspring participating in the program.
In the more than two decades since its development, SFP has been reviewed by researchers and rated as an exemplary, evidence-based program. It has been approved for implementation with federal and state funds by:
- The White House Office of the First Lady Helping America’s Youth (HAY)
- The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP)
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- The Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP)
- The Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS)
- The U.S. Department of Education (USDOE)
- The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP)